Thursday, November 6, 2014

FOLLOW YOUR PASSION

If there is one thing that I could tell every person I come in contact with it is this:

FOLLOW YOUR PASSION.

I've been on both sides. The side where you have absolutely no idea what you want to do with your life, and the other side where you are so passionate about something that it is all you want to do. At times I thought I wanted to be a nurse, a photographer, or even an ultrasonographer. I got certifications that would allow me to work in the medical field. I took classes; so many in fact that I was one class away from applying for the nursing program. I worked, and still do work in the medical field. I love it, and for so long I thought it was my passion. I started college with a medical mind, switched out of it for two years and took other classes to explore other options. Where did I end up after that? Right back on the medical track. For three years thats where I stayed. I liked what I was learning, but that passion for it just wasn't there. That's when I decided that I needed to take some time away from school to figure out what I wanted to do. 

Taking time off of school was both the greatest and more difficult things I could have done.During those two years I didn't take any classes. I didn't go on a mission. I was constantly worrying that people thought I was wasting my time. I as 25, had been working on my bachelors since I graduated with my associates at 18, and had absolutely nothing to show for it, or so I thought. Whether I liked the job I had at the time or not, I worked to earn money. Because I wasn't in school often times held two, sometimes three jobs, just to make sure I wasn't wasting my time. Much to my surprise it wasn't the work experience that led me to something I was passionate. My work experience led me to a bunch of things I realized that I wouldn't want to do forever. It was my free time that made the biggest led me to where I wanted to go. In my free time I would immerse myself in things that made me feel like I was making a difference. I didn't do it thinking that it would turn into anything special, or in hopes that it would give me experience in the field. I honestly didn't even know the field existed. I did it because I loved it. I did it because, paid or not, it was something that I was passionate about.  

I'm now back in school, and yesterday in my speech com class we watched a speech online that was given by a man named Patrick Combs. I had never heard of him before that, but I swear he used my life as an example when putting the material together. I know what it's like to do something with no passion. To do something because it's "just a degree." Don't settle for something you don't love though. And don't be afraid to take some time to figure it out. The trick is to never stop learning. Never stop learning about the world around you, and never stop learning about yourself.

"The only way you do great work is if you love what you do." 
STEVE JOBS


HIGHLIGHTS

"You don't have to be a celebrity to live your passion." 

"Don't let fear stop you from doing what you really want to do. "

"Fear threatens to hold you back from what you are really good at."

"It does take courage for you to go for that think that you actually want love to be. That thing that makes you come alive. That thing you do for fun. That thing that would really start to put the pieces of your dream life in to place."

"The bizarre thing about college is that they only advertise about five jobs. They always publish the entry level salary."

"You have to manufacture and create your dream job."

"What if your dream job, maybe a job you haven't even discovered yet, pays decent." 

"Maybe the money will take care itself if you follow your passion."

"If you're great at what you do you are rewarded handsomely for it. If your good at what you do you are probably going to get laid off soon."

"I'm hoping that you don't go in to something that you feel mediocre about because you'll be mediocre at it. I'm hoping that you do into something that you feel excited and great about because then you'll be excited and great at it."

"It doesn't matter where you go to college. It's not your grades. It's what you do in college." 

"Learn to work with your mind."

"The most important homework you are ever going to do is never going to be assigned."

THE UNASSIGNED HOMEWORK
1. Do three internships.
2. Run a student organization.
3. Study abroad.
4. Join 1-3 professional associations in your field.
5. Get a mentor.

"The unassigned homework makes the difference."

"If you can do in college what it takes to be standing at the end of the game you will be ahead of 99% of every one else."

"This university experience is not designed to teach you about your career."

"You just don't know what you don't know, but somebody else does."

"48% of graduating high school seniors reported they wanted to go overseas in college. 1% actually go."

"You do not have to know how to get to your dream job. Nobody who is starting off to go towards their dream job knows how to get to their dream job. Your responsibility should you want a passionate life, is to just be committed to a passionate life. And when you think you've spotted a job that you might like to have just start taking steps in that direction without knowing how it is going to come true." 

"When you are bold mighty forces come to your rescue."

"When you engage with your passion, your passion knows how to get you there."

"Is this who you truly are? Does this make you come alive? If not, say no."

Take a risk. 

"Fear is the only thing that can stop a person from reaching their dreams."
PAULE COELHO

Decide it is time to attack that fear.

"I did not know I loved the water for 36 years of my life. That is what fear will do. Fear will kill you over and over again."

"Your fears lie to you all the time to keep you small. When you dare to live your dream job you acer going to feel that."

No comments:

Post a Comment