Wednesday, April 16, 2014

THe SiMPLe THiNGS aND THe aLoHa SPiRiT

Hawaii is an absolute dream! The sun, the heat, the water, the beach, the palm trees. If you know me at all you know how much I LOVE those things :) I'd be lying if I said that I didn't plan my flights with every intention of some extended time here. Heck, I was gonna have to come through here anyway, so why not make a day of it? 




Before I left Utah one of my friends was able to line up a place for me to stay while I was here which I am SO grateful for! Jackie and her adorable little girl came and picked me up at the airport and took my to explore a place called Ford Island. It has some really neat history to it. One of the buildings there used to be the old barracks during WWII. Right after Pearl Harbor was attacked they took some of the wounded there and used it as a hospital. There are several spots on he island where you can actually see the USS Arizona Memorial up close without having to take the ferry out. You can't get on it from there, but it was still really neat to see. 

Right around that same area are several other memorials that have to do with the attacks on Pearl Harbor.  I've always loved studying that part of history, so being able to see some of the lesser known memorials was a really neat experience!


The USS Oklahoma & Battleship Missouri Memorials

After looking at the memorials it started to rain a little bit, but it was actually really refreshing. It was still warm out though, and the rain was just light so the kids and I opted to played some ball in it :) 


Once Kirk got home we all piled in to the family car. Jackie thought it would be fun to pick up some sandwiches and go have a picnic on the beach while we watched the sunset, so we did just that. We played tag. We dug holes. We ran in the water. We played tic tac toe in the sand. It was something so simple, but that is the kind of stuff I love the most. Just a night on the beach with another family I didn't know before. Just another night where I felt completely at home. 



No comments:

Post a Comment